Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blake's Halloween Birthday


 Blake's birthday is actually in September, but this year we decided to do the party a little late and have a Halloween theme.The invitations were tricky because he wasn't sure what he wanted. We started looking on Etsy and found these graphics, so I got busy trying to make invitations. We only have Paint & Picasa, so that's what I was forced to use. But I think they turned out ok.


 I've always wanted to have a Halloween party, so this was a lot of fun to plan! Thankfully I didn't need to buy much in terms of decorations.

For the backdrop, I hung plastic tablecloths from our curtain rod. Quick, easy and inexpensive! I made the larger wooden tombstone in the back. I'm sure I could have made it better, but it was done in less than 10 minutes. The 01-12 in the date represents the year Blake was born to now.

 Of course we had lots of gross yummy goodies. I'll show more on those in a second. 

For the drink, we wanted something that matched the color, but that tasted good. That excluded orange & lime Kool-Aid. And I didn't want to use soda. So I used clear watermelon-kiwi Kool-Aid and added a drop of food coloring to make it green.

Aren't the cups cute? I glued google eyes to each one. 

Later on I tried adding a glow stick underneath the dispenser, but you can see it didn't do much. Probably would have looked great in the dark though!

Since watered down drinks are gross, I froze the clear Kool-Aid in a latex glove to serve as ice. I also floated a few leftover eyeballs inside.

And for added fun, I froze some gummy worms in ice cubes.

And now for the treats. We had yellowed teeth (pineapple).

Clotted blood (salsa).

Sewage (Chili's style queso). I thought about using diarrhea as the name for this, but I thought that might be pushing it!

Shrunken skulls & cobwebs (chocolate covered Oreos).

Vampire fangs (tortilla chips).

No fancy name for the cupcakes.

Toenails of a giant (potato chips). This one was tricky.

Mummified monster toes (chocolate covered Twinkies).

Poison powder (Pixie Sticks). We got these from the loose candy bins at Party City. They were on sale 25 for $1.00.

Jelled blood (jello). I love how these turned out but they were so tricky to make!

Witches worms (gummy worms).

Finger bones (chocolate covered pretzels).

Bloody fondue! (red chocolate). I am not a pro at that machine.

For dipping into the chocolate we had tiny hearts (strawberries).

Sponge brains (angel food cake).

Bits of bones (pretzels).

Outside we had a large cooler of poison (soda).

I set this table up for presents and goody bags. The big pumpkin is an outside decoration we have.

I made the little banner above with twine & googly eyes. Idea found here. The sign was in the Target dollar spot.

This pumpkin was also from the dollar spot.




Eventually the chocolate started flowing right.

The goody bags were simple. The eye stickers came from the dollar bin at Joann's.

Inside we had glowsticks (Dollar Tree, 15 for $1), Halloween erasers, expanding foam bugs (Dollar Tree), several types of candy in matching colors (15 for $1 at Party City) and homemade slime. 

I finally used some of the baby food jars I've been hoarding saving since Morgan was a baby (she's 3 now).

The slime is a mixture of glue, water & Borax. I spray painted the lids and glued on google eyes. They are so cute!


The cake! I forgot to save white candy melts for the eyes, so they are google eyes, too.



Make a wish! This makes three birthdays that we have used those black & white candles.

I always pre-scoop the ice cream. It's so much quicker and less messy. The cups were leftover from Morgan's party.

This year I decided to try a black velvet cake. It was not a hit, however. I should have stuck with what works I guess.

Of course the boys played football, like they always do.

We also had a sleepover that night. I think we had 7 boys total. Here they were having a Minecraft session. Dorks. I wasn't sure what to expect having all those boys over night, but they weren't bad at all! But every time I got up to check them, someone was eating a cheeseburger.  Boys.

Linked to: Catch as Catch Can at My Repurposed Life, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Delicately Constructed Friday at delicateCONSTRUCTION, Happy Hour at Craftberry Bush, Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots & Jello, Sundae Scoop at I ♥ Naptime, Creative Bloggers Party & Hop at Homemaker on a Dime, Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table & Dreaming, Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe,Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style, What We Wore, Read & Made at Rae Gun Ramblings, Look What I Made at Creations by Kara, Hookin Up with HoH at House of Hepworths, Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Friday Favs at Naptime Crafters, Fifth Annual Party Party at My Insanity

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wendy, when your kids grow up I am sure they are going to look back on their childhoods and remember the AMAZING birthday parties you put on for them! What a fun, fun party. I love all the creative names you came up with for the food! It all looks fantastic.

Unknown said...

OMGoodness how cute!! I love the whoe setup and I bet the kids had a blast.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Wow, when you do a party .... you DO a party! My daughter's birthday is ON Hallowe'en and it always makes it difficult. She's 19 this year, but I think she'd still like most of your goodies. I think it's all fabulous!
(Visiting from My Repurposed Life)

Erin {Home Everyday} said...

So clever! I love the Frankenstein cake. So awesome!

Nancy at maddalee™ said...

Adorable party! I especially like the Frankie Cake!

Have a good day, Nancy

Adorned From Above said...

This is the cutest party. I love everything. He must have had a blast. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What a great party! So many fun ideas!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you next week!

Karla Do More said...

Such fun party ideas. The food table is adorable. Love that cake. Theme parties are one of the reasons I can't wait to have kids. lol

Jenn said...

Oh my gosh, how did you think of all those names. I think I am still gagging at a few I read. Ha Ha. Your cake turned out amazing.

Kathryn said...

Wow! What an amazing party! I can't imagine how much time and effort you put into that! Love all the names you came up with.

Michelle Carvalho said...

Hi, I'm a new follower from Market Yourself Mondays. I LOVE this party you put together! You've got some really cute ideas, you did a really good job! I love putting together parties, it takes some work, but it's so worth it in the end :)
If you get a chance, I'd love for you to come visit my blog as well
http://sunshineandasummerbreeze.blogspot.com

Loretta Castorini said...

My boys would have a blast at this party! Not only do they love mine craft...(who am I kidding, if they were playing mine craft, they wouldnt see anything else), they (actually I) would go crazy for the blood chocolate fountain, and monster cake!! Everything looks great, and as a mom of two boys (and two girls) I have to say you are a stronger woman than I! I could NEVER EVER have a 7 boy sleepover!!! Good job!

Brandi said...

WOW! What an amazing party. I love all of your ideas. Everything came together so nicely.

Crystelle Boutique said...

This is seriously spooky......
My favorites are the jelled blood and the sewage.... YUK!

You outdid yourself...
Does your son realize how lucky he is...???

Happy Halloween!
Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Crystelle Boutique said...

I pinned: my son's B-day is next week, and we always have a fun time.....


Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Alese said...

HOLY CRAP THAT IS A CUTE PARTY! Cute! I blog over at http://www.2crafty4myskirt.blogspot.com/ and this Thursday I will be doing a round up of Halloween treats and party ideas. I plan to include this. Please let me know if you are not ok with that:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...