Saturday, January 28, 2012

Art Journaling

Lately I've been admiring some of the art journal pages I come across on Pinterest. I have always loved doodling and art, and I used to draw all the time. But it's been a long time! I thought about it for awhile, but finally decided I'd buy a book and try my hand at art journaling. Here are a couple of pages I stumbled across that I really like.

I got this notebook at Michael's. The pages are thicker than regular drawing paper. I really wanted watercolor paper instead, but I couldn't find any notebooks, only pads. So I went with this. And Staples recently had 12 packs of Sharpies on sale for $3, so I helped myself to a few.

I wasn't really sure where to start, but I just started doodling.


I misjudged my spacing, so I ended up with space at the bottom. I didn't want to start the rainbow over, or have a huge chunk of purple, so I wrote "just begin" which is what I'm doing. I thought it fit well. Quit thinking about what to do and just do it, ya know?

When I bought my journal, they were buy one, get one free, so I decided to get Layla one as well. She has a horrible habit of drawing on everything (paper, walls, beds, furniture... she's 7, we should be past this stage!). I'm hoping maybe this will help direct her creativity to paper, not my freaking walls. I guess she was inspired by my page, this is her first page.

I was showing her some other pages I had saved to Pinterest, and she wanted to make one like this. (source).

Link
Here's Linkher version. I did the lettering on top and the boxes.

Have you done any art journaling? I've only done that one page so far, but I'm ready to do more. Do you have any favorite online places for inspiration?

Linked to: Sundae Scoop at I ♥ Naptime, Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Creative Bloggers Party & Hop at Homemaker On a Dime, Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table & Dreaming, Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Look What I Made at Creations by Kara, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, What's Up Wednesday at Sew Woodsy, Project Party Weekend at Bubbly Nature Creations, Friday Favs at Naptime Crafters, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Delicately Constructed Friday at delicateCONSTRUCTION, Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots & Jello

13 comments:

krcrafts said...

I really like the start of your journal! And how great that Layla is starting one, too. I may have to do this myself :)

Natalia Lynn said...

I think this is great! I think I want to do one like it!

WhyCuzICan said...

True story- I "crush" on REAL (snail) mail too!

Darling journal idea!

Visiting from Homemaker On A Dime linky party,
~Suzanne at WhyCuzICan in NW Illinois

Dani said...

What a cool idea! I could see doing this at night to get all those ideas out before falling asleep. . . Gonna have to find me a little book.
Came here from the Craftastic Link Party and I am your newest follower!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

love this so cute!

Natasha xxx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

I love the idea of journaling with your daughter!

storybeader said...

that is so cute, and the pinterest page looks so familiar to the real pages! Great ideas, and Layla is doing great too. Hope she keeps it! {:-Deb

Yvonne said...

Wendy, your rainbow 'bubble' page looks amazing! I have such a thing for rainbows (as I'm sure you could tell by the way I organized the books in our spool coffee table). And I especially love how you're inspiring your daughter to be creative (on paper) as well. Oh, and thanks for stopping by at 'vonnylein' the other day. :) (PS. I'm only a teeny bit jealous that you live in Florida.)
-yvonne.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

This is so cool!!! I love your dots!!! I have been inspired now!!! :) Thanks for linking this up!

Hi I'm Lluna said...

Hi Rachel! I want encourage you to continue with your art journal. I found this golden rules yesterday on net, and I pinned it. But reading your begin, I hope these can helps you to develop your mixed media attempts. Sweet kisses!

http://campfirechicblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/andreas-golden-rules-of-mixed-media.html

Marti said...

I'm in the sunshine state too and I use to draw as well. I've been hitting pinterest a lot and love the doodling pages!! I love your blog!! I'm favoriting it so I can keep up with you! <3

Unknown said...

Great start...love that your daughter jumped in. ..i have let my son sit at my craft table and he made a few cards and went nuts handpainting on canvas....but art journaling has been something i wanted to do but always get sidetracked with other crafts.....

Unknown said...

Great start...love that your daughter jumped in. ..i have let my son sit at my craft table and he made a few cards and went nuts handpainting on canvas....but art journaling has been something i wanted to do but always get sidetracked with other crafts.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...