Thursday, June 10, 2010

Still Harvesting & Growing



Even though we're already canned all the green beans, and removed the plants, there is still a lot happening in our little garden. The peaches are coming along nicely.




We're hoping for success with the tomatoes. I would like to leave them on the vine a little longer, but I don't want them to get eaten or crack.



Bell Peppers have been doing great.



There is more okra growing, but I'm not sure. We tried frying it up the other night, but I had to use flour instead of cornmeal, and the grease was a little too hot. I wasnt in love with it. I guess when the new ones are ready, we'll have to try it again.



We've never had a ton of luck with watermelons, but we have a few that are still going good. We had one last year that got pretty big. We were afraid it was going to crack, so we picked it. It wasnt ready yet though. :(




All the pumpkin plants that came up on their own have been harvested and removed. I just love these little guys!




Speaking of pumpkins... they're part of why I havent been posting. We've been working on our pumpkin field. Mike tilled it and we've been raking. And we got the seeds ordered. 750 to be exact! We ordered a jack-o-lantern style, Jack Be Littles, Lumina, Cinderella and Lil Pump-ke-mon pumpkins, and also some birdhouse gourds. We're hoping this little adventure turns out well!






Since I'm talking about whats growing on around here, I thought I'd share some of our flowers, too. These Lantana's are popping up all over the place. I plan on moving them to along our front fence line. They are so pretty!






And these Zinnia's just don't stop. We planted them from seed three years ago, and every year so far they have come back! Not as many as we originally planted, but I think we've got 6 or 7 growing right now.


Hopefully now that the pumpkin field is coming along, I will be able to get some crafting done. I've had the itch to scrapbook again, but just havent been able to get a chance. And we're taking the kids to Ft. DeSoto this weekend (cant wait!). We're such bad Floridians, we havent been to the beach in 5 years! Gotta hit the gulf beaches before the oil makes its way down here (so sad). Anyway, have a good one!

5 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

A pumpkin patch!?! How cool!!! We planted seeds this year and the plants look so good! If there's one thing I can grow, it's a pumpkin and of course tomatoes!

Your garden did so good! Love fresh veggies!

Unknown said...

So, I just planted our tomatoes on Tuesday, and my zinnia seeds last night. Kills me to see that you are already eating those darn tomatoes, and I just got mine into the ground!

Can't wait to watch the progress on your pumpkin patch!

made at greenlodge said...

I love your blog, so gentle and natural.
As for veg, I'm getting into rhubarb and squash, toms and beetroot, courgette and anything else I can squeeze onto my tiny patch.

Thank you so much for sharing your fields . . .

Unknown said...

Hey Wendy. The Lord provides such a wonderful, beautiful and delicious bounty for those willing to cultivate it. And your family is doing a fantastic job. I just love looking at your garden. And I'm drooling over the thought of having a beautiful peach tree and those watermelons!!! I hope ya'll had a fun trip to the beach. It just sickens me to think of the devastation. I've been saying I want to go over to the gulf all winter. I love that side. I so wish we would have gone before it got hot and before this madness started.

Hope you took pics to show us.
Hugs...Tracy :)

Unknown said...

Oh' yeah. I forgot to say how pretty your flowers are. I love how zinnia's put out so much color and so many blooms.

T :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...