Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Valentine's Yarn Wreath

I never used to decorate for Valentine's Day at all - but seeing all the cute projects everyone has inspired me to start. So this year I'm adding to my decor with a yarn wreath. I needed something new on the door anyway!

I started with a foam heart form that I found at the thrift, some batting and some chunky red yarn.

I cut strips of the batting and wrapped the form with it. I glued it using tacky glue, but hot glue would have worked, too. However, I now kind of wish I had either not used the batting, or not used such a chunky yarn.

And then start wrapping. And wrapping. And keep wrapping till it's all covered. As I mentioned previously, the points on this thing were a lot harder than I thought they'd be. Then again, I think that also has something to do with the combo of batting and thick yarn.

Eventually the entire form will be covered, and you will have something like this. Looks a little wonky to be, but I decided to keep going.

I gathered up some sheets of felt. I knew I wanted to include some turquoise, but that's really all I had planned at this point. It's hard for me to take pictures of making the flowers, etc, because I didn't have a specific plan. I just kind of play with it until I get something I like.

For this little bunting I used some red & white bakers twine, white felt, some very old Making Memories letters and some turquoise brads.

I thought it needed something on the side, so instead of flowers I did this little banner.

And of course, felt flowers. It was my first time making the ones with the little petals. Super fun & easy!

And here it is! This is outside so I could get the best light.

LinkLink
And here it is on our ugly door. It's not crooked - it's meant to hang at an angle. I really was unsure of this thing when it was just wrapped in yarn, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Maybe I'll do a St. Patty's Day one next!

Linked to: Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Home Decor & Organizing Linky Party at Organize & Decorate Everything, Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, What's Up Wednesday at Sew Woodsy, Look What I Made at Creations by Kara, Hookin Up with HoH at House of Hepworths, Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Catch-as- Catch-Can at My Repurposed Life, Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest, Delicately Constructed Friday at delicateCONSTRUCTION, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Friday Favs at Naptime Crafters, Watcha Got Weekend at Lolly Jane Boutique, Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots & Jello, Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors, Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sundae Scoop at I ♥ Naptime, Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table & Dreaming, Creative Bloggers Party & Hop at Homemaker on a Dime

14 comments:

Lauren said...

Super cute! I love how it came out. :)

I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-25.html

Unknown said...

Very cute! I especially like the little banner.

Lolly Jane said...

K wow, love this! Pinned it! (:

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This turned out great! I hope you will link this up to my I Heart Projects Linky Party if you haven't already.

www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I made something similar, but now I want to go back and put some felt flowers on it! So cute!

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

There are so many yarn wreaths out there, but this stands out as one of the BEST ones I have seen. We would love for you to share this at our link party. I know that our readers would enjoy it!

www.uncommondesignsonline.com

chris said...

Darling wreath, Wendy! I love the texture and the felt flowers. Well done.

Stevie Moon said...

That is SUPER cute! I tried a yard wreath and it was a disaster. I think I'll try a St. Patty's day one and follow your post. Plus I love your felt flowers. Super cute!! Thanks for visiting my post at Copycat Queen. I haven't linked up my identity with my blog yet!!

Amanda said...

That's super cute! I LOVE the color combination!

Sarah said...

This is so cute! I especially like the little banner, I haven't seen that done before...I might be trying that one :) Stop by for a visit when you have a chance! www.pickedbyjane.blogspot.com ~Sarah

Karen said...

I love it! The flowers are gorgeous!! I would love you to stop by and link this up at Friday Frolic:)

http://www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com/2012/02/friday-frolic-13.html

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

yay! your wreath turned out really cute!
thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can
gail

Unknown said...

This turned out so cute! It's amazing what all you can do with yarn without knowing how to knit!! :) Would love it if you came by and linked up to my Manic Monday Linky Party!
-Melissa
http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

So cute!!! It really came out great!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...