Saturday, February 28, 2009

More Projects...

I think all of us have a number of unfinished projects going at once. I'm sure I have more than what I am about to talk about here, but these are the ones I remember, lol. With less than 2 weeks till my due date, this is probably one of the more urgent unfished projects:


The crib. It's been in our kitchen for several weeks. Mike has been pretty busy with other projects & work, so I cant blame him. It should be put together this weekend I'm sure.
One of the other projects he has been busy with, is switching the kids' rooms. We knew there was no way we were going to fit both girl's into the room Layla had. So we had to switch. The kids picked new colors and Mike got busy. Layla did purple again, but this time we added a pink wall since Morgan's bedding is mostly pink. Sorry for the glare, but we had the house opened up today. So nice to not run the ac or heat! That huge white dresser was another project from awhile back. We got those for free after a yardsale. They were an ugly 80's cream with gold handles. Much better now I think!

Sorry this shot is a little blurry, but it shows the pink.



Now for an unfinished project. None of the bedroom closets in this house have doors on them. Awhile back, on one of his jobs I believe, Mike found some metal poles that we could use for the closets, thinking I could get some fabric and make panels to cover the closet. Well, we've had those poles for awhile now, and I was growing more and more tired of looking at closet clutter. I had the idea to just look for flat sheets. I figured they would be cheaper than that much fabric. So, off to Walmart we went. Found a sheet and some curtain clips... Blake's is finished, Layla's isnt.


Another project that will be easy to finish. Ironing these curtains I made when we first moved in. These were on Layla's old window, but since she now has two windows, she needed new ones. So I'm going to take these...


And hang them from that tension rod there...



Blake also has an unfinished project. He has a desk, but no chair. He hasnt since he got the desk. I've kind of been looking for one, but not really trying that hard. Then I saw an idea in one of the Better Homes & Gardens organizing magazines I have. They took an upper cabinet and made it into a bench. I thought, maybe we could do that for Blake, just smaller. Then it would tuck into his desk and also take up less visual space than a chair. Especially since it's right next to his bed.

So that's the plan. Mike brought this home from work. We just need a piece of plywood, some batting, some fabric and some feet of some sort. They used bun feet, I was thinking locking casters might be good since we have wood floors. We might also paint it black, havent decided yet.


Now Blake's room also got painted, but when I tried to take pictures this afternoon, it was dark in there. Even with the light on and curtains open, so I'll have to try again another day. But for now, these are the colors he chose:



Now for some more finished stuff. Here is Blake's closet before:



And after, with the flat sheet & curtain clips closed. Much better I think! He chose the black. And for $7 for the sheet and $10 in clips, it's much cheaper than closet doors!



As you probably know, Linens & Things went out of business a bit ago. I had avoided them since we walked in and their "sale" was 10%. But one day when I went to Target, I figured I would stop in since they were next door. It was the last 3 days of the sale and everything was 80% off. I found a duvet set (sham & duvet), 2 sets of curtain rod finnials (regular $14.99 each, got them for $2.99 each) and a bedskirt, and my total was a little under $20. The bedskirt was intended for Blake's bed. It was an off-white color, but I figured I could dye it. I finally got around to it, using the rest of the black Rit dye I had leftover from the Halloween Trees. It turned out a dark grey, but I decided to leave it as is, instead of trying to go black.



I don't remember where I saw the idea for this, but when I saw it, I knew I wanted to make them for the kids. I used a canvas, chipboard letters, frames from the thrift store & buttons I picked up new. I started Blake's awhile back, so for his I had asked him to pick the colors.


For Morgan's, I decided to match it to her bedding. So hers is pink & white. I originally wanted to do pink & like a spring green, but I didnt find any buttons that shade at the store. (I don't think I ever posted the baby's name, but yes, it will be Morgan :))



Layla's was also matched to her bedding:




So what about you? Finish any projects lately? What about those unfinished ones you've got laying around? I'd love to see 'em!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh, you've been BUSY! I am in love with those button letters you made! They are so, so cute and look like something out of the Pottery Barn Kids catalog I was just looking at today! I'm going to have to try that for sure!

The cabinet/seat thing sounds really interesting--I want to see pics when you're done.

PS--I can't believe you're only 2 weeks until your due date! That went so fast!

Kim's Treasures said...

Wow you guys have been busy!!! I love the monogram button letters!

Sarah and Jack said...

GAH! Love the button monograms.

Dacia said...

Your letters are so cute too!

Thanks for the blog visit :)

http://acreativemomma.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...