Sunday, May 2, 2010

Placemat Into Pillow


Awhile back, I saw an project where they made a pillow from a placemat. I think it was Better Homes & Gardens, and I think it was something where they folded down the top of it... I can't remember, and I couldnt find it again. But since then I have been on the lookout for a placemat I could use. I just so happened to find one on clearance at Target a couple of weeks ago.
Since I couldnt find my original inspiration, I decided to improvise. I ripped open the seam just enough to get my hand in to stuff. I didnt take a photo, but I just used some polyfill.

Then I just hand stitched it shut. And voila! Check it out sitting on the old desk we found in Virginia. Which is now my end table.



I think it turned out pretty cute! I'm thinking about redoing that lampshade, too...



On another note, after months of looking at & drooling over all the quilts I see online, I finally got the nerve to try it myself. I had cut out the squares a couple months ago, but with the birthdays and vacation, I hadnt had time to do anything with them. Until last night. Now I need a piece of batting, I already have some muslin. The floral fabrics are all from vintage sheets & pillowcases. Question is, what should I bind this with?




Linking to:
The Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table & Dreaming
Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented
DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land
Get Your Craft on Tuesday at Todays Creative Blog
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
Look What I Made at Creations by Kara
The Linky Party at Tea Rose Home
Idea Sharing Wednesday at Women Who Do It All
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Look at Me, I'm so Crafty at It's FUN to Craft!
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Categorically Crafting at Someday Crafts

13 comments:

Unknown said...

That pillow from a place mat is SO CLEVER! I never would have guessed that was what it was to begin with. Now I'll be on the lookout for place mats!

Cute quilt--you're brave! :D

Kelli W said...

Cute pillow! I just did the exact same thing with a placemat I picked up on sale at Target!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Adorable - I love the print! I need to start looking for some cute placemats! Love this! Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week. Hope to see you again next Sunday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Rebecca said...

I love both your pillow AND your quilt!! How about a blue binding? Like a bright robin's egg blue? I started a quilt very similar. You have inspired me to finish it lol.

Oh and would you mind if I highlighted your place mat to pillow as Trash to Treasure idea for my series on The Examiner??

linda t said...

Wow, way to be creative and resourceful! My kind of blog... I'll be back for sure!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That is adorable!!! And I love the way you used the desk as an end table...extra seating too!! :)

Pat Harris said...

I love the pillow! But I really love that you made the quilt top. Can't wait to see it finished. I wish I had the patience to do something like that. I've tried, can't do it. lol. Thanks for dropping by junkblossoms. Pat.

Suzanne said...

Love placemat pillows. They are so easy and fun to make. I made several over the holidays!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

That is such a super easy way to make a very cute pillow! I'm going to be on the lookout for a suitable placemat. I love your school desk as end table as well!
Sarah

Sachiko said...

I love projects using placemats, this is such a fun way to make something beautiful! Thank you for linking to my party!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

The placemat pillow is genious! Love that idea! As far as the quilt goes, I wish I could help. My mom made my daughter a quilt when she was a baby and it still sits unfinished because mom wasn't sure how to do the binding. My daughter is 9. lol

You did a great job on it!
~Michelle

My Little Notebook said...

Very pretty pillow! I love the color. Great job!

Nicole A. said...

I Love it!! What a great idea, your table and display looks awesome!! And the quilt, I LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love the fabric and the colors, soooo pretty!! Great Job Girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...