Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fresh!

Every year we plant a little garden. Pretty much always the same things, but we like what we like. We've tried corn, unsuccessfully, but this year we decided to skip it. Here's our little garden.


Something new for this year, okra. I havent actually eaten this in a long time, and I dont think Mike ever has. I know the kids havent! So we'll see how that goes. (sorry it's not that focused!)


Peppers. We've already used two for dinner.


Onions. We've had mixed luck with these in the past, so again, we'll see how these go.



Always the shining star of the garden, green beans!



This year we are trying roma tomatoes, since we really only want them for sauce, none of us actually eat tomatoes. Although honestly, I've been thinking of trying them. I used to eat fried green tomatoes, but at some point, I stopped liking them. I'm a very picky eater!




These we didn't plant, they came up on their own. When we don't have anything planted, we toss our vegetable/fruit scraps out where we have the garden. These guys were our Halloween pumpkins. They will be gone before Halloween is anywhere close, but it's fun to watch them grow.




Jack-be-Littles! We have decided that we are going to try a whole patch of pumpkins out in the field. Hopefully we will be able to have a real pumpkin patch for Halloween, and sell them! There are no real patches around here. You're only options are church's with a field full of pumpkin, vegatable stands or the grocery store. Wish us luck!



The garden isn't all that's growing. Check out our Florida peach tree!




Back to the garden for a moment... with three rows of green beans, it isnt long before you have to pick.





Here was our haul from this past weekend. There is still a ton left on the plants!



And what do we do with all those fresh beans? Pressure can! From that pile we canned 32 pints of beans. The pint jar is very similar in size to a can of store bought beans. If those beans are roughly $1.00 a can (give or take), think of the savings! We only spent probably $3-$4 on the seeds.



Mother nature is also providing us with some fresh food for the summer.




It's a jungle out there!



Wild blackberries!



We picked two cups worth Tuesday. There are a ton that aren't ripe yet and a whole bunch we can't even reach, or risk ripping your arms apart.



Not pictured are the carrots and the two apple trees that my father in law planted. Yes, Florida apples, too! They are still very small but one tree has two little apples growing on it.
Have a good week!

9 comments:

Tiff said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so jealous of your gorgeous garden bounty!! My little garden is just barely even beginning to sprout, and I only planted the green beans last Saturday, so they have a long way to go. But, that's living in Maine.

Enjoy your crop, especially that Okra. Make some gumbo or batter it and fry it, YUM!!!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh my gracious! Wendy, I am so jealous of your garden!!! I wish we had a big garden. We only have a few peppers, tomatoes, squash and strawberries. You are going to eat soooo well!

carey said...

Your garden is lovely!! I have always wanted to have a pumpkin patch, good luck! I think that is so cool. One day I'll have a bigger yard with more garden space...

Unknown said...

Hey Wendy. Thank you for giving me all those sites to check out. It really is addictive. I can't wait until I finally get organized and get in a rhythm. Hope it's soon.

You don't know how envious I am of your garden. The older I get the more I want one. I'm looking forward to watching yours grow. And I can't wait to see if Florida can create a sweet apple. And you have a peach tree! I love peaches. I can't believe the haul you picked this weekend. It must feel so good to know you've got fresh vegetables and it's such a good experience for the kids. Gotta love that little pumpkin. If you have a pumpkin patch this year, I'm gonna have to ride out there and visit!

I love your property by the way. People don't usually think of Florida being like that, but that's so classic Florida to me with the cypress trees in the background and the central Florida look. I love it.

Have a blessed evening....Tracy :)

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful garden! I'm so jealous! I have two straggly strawberry plants on my front steps lol.

I used to live in South Florida and there was an orange grove near by and can close my eyes and still smell it. :)

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Wendy I have garden envy! wow. that is so great!

precious said...

I wish my garden is as beautiful as yours! I envy you for being so patient and dedicated with your garden.
dining room tables

Bec said...

Someday I want a garden to grow my own vegetables in- so much cooler than just buying them at the store!

http://www.theiheartblog.com

The Single Nester said...

What a gorgeous garden! There are delicious things you can do with those pumpkin/zucchini flowers. We make 100s of them in the summer and eat them all year round.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...