Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Few Finds



Yard sale season is in full swing here, but, I havent been to any. I did get one new thing this weekend, though, from the Catholic thrift, and I also had a few things I forgot to share before. Like this Phillips bottle. I found this in the creek at the bottom of my aunt's house in Virginia. It says "Genuine Phillips Made in USA" on the bottom, and also has the letter M and number. I know it can't be super old, as it has threads for a screw on lid. Does anyone have any idea when they quit using glass?




I have seen several thrifters find this old card game, Rook, and always admired the cards themselves. I finally happened to find a deck at the Catholic thrift awhile back!





This is what I found yesterday. An old sewing machine table. My husband hates it. I admit, it doesnt look the best right now. The creamy white paint I do kind of like, it's chippy and has cracks that you just cant recreate with crackle paint. But I am not loving the gold/brown accents, or even the little knob. But I think it would look really nice with a new paint job. And I have an old glass knob I found in the shed here that I could use to replace that pull. What do you think? Do you hate it, too? Be honest, I can take it!



This wont be fun to sand.







It even still has the machine inside! I really dont need the machine though.




Oh, and I want to say thank you to everyone for your awesome comments on the ice cream cone t-shirt! I truly appreciate it.


I'm linking up to Today's Thrifty Treasures over at Southern Hospitality. Cant't wait to see what everyone else found this week!


22 comments:

alanna rose said...

I like the table :)
I think it'd be dreamy painted and with a glass knob - I also think it'll be a pain to sand ;) Good luck!

Vintage Remixed said...

Well I happen to think that little table is pretty terrific looking just like it is and that's an adorable Phillips bottle too.

Unknown said...

I like the table, too! The legs of it are very neat. It'll look really great once you work on it a bit.

Nancy

laylablue said...

the table is great! no fun to sand, though, i'm sure. too bad there isn't such a thing as SAND IN A CAN, you know, like a can of spray paint, but a can of sanding power! hey, what about a power washer? maybe that would be too powerful... just a thought.

roseylittlethings said...

i love the table!!!great finds!

lori said...

the table is adorable.

The Tattered Cottage said...

Hi Wendy -
I was so happy to see that you had stopped by for a visit. That table is too stinkin' cute and you're right...it will be a pain to sand. You might try a heat gun, it will heat up the paint and you can scrape it right off with a scraper or a stiff brush. You don't want to over heat it though because you can burn the wood. I love my heat gun....especially for the pieces that have layers and layers of paint.
♥ Toni

FrouFrouBritches said...

I love the table!!! I'm with ya on the gold though. The glass knob would be really pretty!

Kelee said...

Great eye Wendy!

I love your stuff!

Thanks so much for visiting!

love, kelee

Lana Kim White Austin said...

I love the table. I think a glass knob would be great OR you could paint the current knot a shiny contrast BRIGHT color (like a turquoise or !?!?!) instead.

Hugs, Lana

Blue Creek Home said...

Do husbands usually like our thrifty junk??? Mine thinks I have lost my mind every time I bring something else home!!!
I love your finds. The cabinet is going to be great.
Rhonda

Unknown said...

Hey Wendy. I think it;s awesome!!! I would love to find a sewing cabinet and I love the bones of this one. What a great find!!! I actually like all your finds. Cool cards and love that blue on the bottle.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving encouraging comments. Yeah, I'd really like to hear about the saving/coupons sites you know about. I really want to make over my blog but that's on my long list.

Hugs....Tracy :)

Charlotte said...

Great finds! I am in to painting things a pale pink so that's what came to mind with the sewing machine cabinet. What are you going to do with the sewing machine? As for the Milk of Magnesia bottle, I would have broken that bad boy! Ugh! That is the nastiest stuff! Ranks right up there with Pepto Bismol!

Kim's Treasures said...

I love the table! What do hubbies know??? Mine always gets his nose out of joint when I look at things like that. Oh well, we have inspiration, it will look better!

Kristen said...

I love the table - it will be well worth the sanding in the end!

Sarah and Jack said...

I like the table.

Cindy said...

I love the sewing machine table, if it was mine I would paint it white or something light and just distress it. Replace the know with something dark and pretty or a glass knob. Maybe you don't like the shabby chic look, though. I wish I could help you with the blue bottle. I only know that the screw type lids were in use from about 1920 on.

Embellished Bayou said...

Oh, that table will be fabulous made-over! Funny to see those Rook cards, we play all the time!

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Wendy, I hate to contradict your husband but that little sewing table is CUTE and don't you let him convince you otherwise! I'd take it in a heartbeat. It would make a darling bedside table or end table...or maybe even a little desk for your daughter.

Unless it has a lot of loose, peeling paint, or the paint has "bubbled," you don't have to bother with sanding. Just wipe it down good with "liquid sandpaper", also known as "deglosser." Prime and then paint.

carey said...

oh, i love that little table! so cute, i hope you'll show it off when again when you're done with it.

Jerri-Lea said...

Great finds! You've been finding some great treasures! Our yard sales haven't been that productive this year!!

Jenny in Maine said...

ohhhhh...loving the table and cannot wait to see it set up in your house!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...