I've been in the mood to bake something lately but coudln't figure out what. So finally I sat down with some of the many recipe books we have and picked out something. That something was a Honey Bun Cake! You need:
1 box yellow cake mix
2/3 C. vegetable oil
8 oz. sour cream
1 C. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 C. chopped pecans (optional)
1 C. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350° (shiny metal or glass) or 325° (dark or nonstick). Spray bottom only of 13x9 inch pan with baking spray.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spread half of the batter in the pan.
3. In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans (if used) & cinnamon; sprinkle over batter in pan. Carefully spread remaining batter evenly over mixture.
4. Bake 44-48 minutes or until deep golden brown.
5. In small bowl, stir icing ingredients until thin enough to spread. Prick surface of warm cake several times with fork. Spread icing over cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Store covered at room temperature.
Enjoy! This was really good, it tastes a lot like a cinnamon bun. I did have to double the icing to make enough to cover the cake. And watch your sugar/cinnamon mixture. It was fine for most of the cake, but there were a few spots where it must have been thicker, because the cake sank there, and was almost solid sugar at the bottom. Perfect with a cold glass of milk ♥.
Linked to: Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Whassup Whassup Party at Elements Interiors, Link Party #46 at Tea Rose Home, Idea Sharin Wednesday at Women Who Do It All, Look What I Made at Creations by Kara, What's Up Wednesday at Sew Woodsy, Hookin Up With HoH at House of Hepworths, Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Foodie Friday at Walnut Avenue