Monday, March 21, 2011

Honey Bun Cake


I've been in the mood to bake something lately but coudln't figure out what. So finally I sat down with some of the many recipe books we have and picked out something. That something was a Honey Bun Cake! You need:


1 box yellow cake mix
2/3 C. vegetable oil
4 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1 C. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 C. chopped pecans (optional)
1 C. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Heat oven to 350° (shiny metal or glass) or 325° (dark or nonstick). Spray bottom only of 13x9 inch pan with baking spray.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spread half of the batter in the pan.
3. In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans (if used) & cinnamon; sprinkle over batter in pan. Carefully spread remaining batter evenly over mixture.
4. Bake 44-48 minutes or until deep golden brown.
5. In small bowl, stir icing ingredients until thin enough to spread. Prick surface of warm cake several times with fork. Spread icing over cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Store covered at room temperature.




Enjoy! This was really good, it tastes a lot like a cinnamon bun. I did have to double the icing to make enough to cover the cake. And watch your sugar/cinnamon mixture. It was fine for most of the cake, but there were a few spots where it must have been thicker, because the cake sank there, and was almost solid sugar at the bottom. Perfect with a cold glass of milk ♥.

Linked to: Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Whassup Whassup Party at Elements Interiors, Link Party #46 at Tea Rose Home, Idea Sharin Wednesday at Women Who Do It All, Look What I Made at Creations by Kara, What's Up Wednesday at Sew Woodsy, Hookin Up With HoH at House of Hepworths, Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Foodie Friday at Walnut Avenue

16 comments:

Lindsey said...

That looks super moist and yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

HOLY LOVE that looks DELISH! I wish I was a good cook...SO NOT my strong point...EEkk! Could you FedEx one to me:)

xoxokara

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely amazing! I want some now please:) ha ha

Natalia Lynn said...

This looks delicious!!

Jaime S. said...

Looks so yummy! I'll be making this one soon. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That really does look yummy! Great recipe! ♥

Jennifer said...

Honey Bun cake is my favorite!! Glad I saw this post as it is reminding me that it has been too long since I've made it for my family. I'll have to change that next week!
Stopping by from Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

WOW - my mom used to make something similar and we loved it! I'll have to test this one out to see how close they are!!
This is PERFECT for my new linky party, Foodie Friday. Please stop on over and link up!

Bargain Hoot said...

I would love for you to share this delicious and moist looking honey bun cake at My new Eats and Treats party!!

http://bargainhoot.com/2011/03/24/join-my-first-link-up-party-share-your-eats-treats/

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

Thank you SO MUCH for linking up to WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!!! Great entry:)

Hope to see you next Wednesday!

xoxokara

you know i want a bite!

oneshabbychick said...

Looks and sounds easy and yummy! It just might be in my very near future ;-) stopping by from Walnut Ave.... osc

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This looked so heavenly that I featured it today. I can't wait to have an excuse to try this recipe!!!!

Jill said...

Yum! That looks really delicious. I have such a sweet tooth these last few months. Adding this to my list :)

Unknown said...

This looks so yummy!!! I wish I had some yellow cake mix to make some right now... hmmm I wonder if I could do a cupcake version for the kiddos... thanks for sharing

Gloria said...

Stumbled upon this post of yours, and so glad I did! It looks delicious, thanks for sharing.
Best,
Gloria

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...