Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cookie Dough Easter Eggs

I always seem to have an issue getting the Easter decorations out. It always ends up being the week before Easter, or I don't even bother. I think it's because of how close it is to Layla's & Morgan's birthdays. So I don't have a lot of decorations. But both this year, and last year, I joined the Eggcellent Swap hosted by Monkeybox. I know have some wonderful Easter creations! For my egg this year I decided to put a spin on the gingerbread ornaments I have made in the past. These are NOT no-bakes. Here is the recipe: You will need:


  • 6 Tbsp. shortening

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1 cup molasses

  • 2 tsp. baking soda

  • 2 tsp. groung cloves

  • 2 tsp. ginger

  • 2 tsp. cinnamon

  • 7 cups flour

  • 1 1/2 cups water
1. Beat shortening & sugar together in large bowl. Stir in molasses. 2. Sift baking soda, ground cloves, ginger, cinnamon & flour together in a large bowl. Alternately add the dry mixture & water to the shortening mixture. 3. Stir until mixed thoroughly and refrigerate 6-8 hours. 4. Preheat oven to 350°. 5. Cut dough into 3 equal pieces. Knead each piece lightly and use a rolling pin to roll out each piece.


6. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes, and then use a straw to poke holes, if needed. 7. Place cookies on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Turn off oven & allow cookies to cool in the oven. 8. Place cookies on racks to completely harden. Place in a cool, dry place and allow to sit for 2-3 days.






In the past I've used puff paint to decorate these, to give the look of piped royal icing. But this time I used acrylic paints.










They look a little plain like this, so I decided to add some white glitter, to resemble sanding sugar.

















I added a piece of yarn to hang them with, but I didn't get a photo of them like that. This recipe CAN be halved. The full amounts make quite a bit of dough. And I have Christmas ornaments I made from this several years ago, and they are still in perfect condition.


Linked to: Easter Egg Hunt at Blue Cricket Design, Spring Has Sprung at Craftaholics Anonymous, Friday Favorites at Inspiring Creations, Catch-As-Catch-Can at My Repurposed Life, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Project Party Weekend at Bubbly Nature, Show & Share Day at Just a Girl, Funky Fresh Friday at KoolBeenz, Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Watcha Got at Lolly Jane Boutique, Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots & Jello, Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Projects in Progress at Ma Nouvelle Mode, Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee, Too Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Link Party #50 at Tea Rose Home, What's Up Wednesday at Sew Woodsy, Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Inspired By You Wednesday at Eisy Morgan



15 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love them! And the whole box smelled like gingerbread when it arrived. Yum!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Adorable eggs Wendy!

Jennifer said...

So Great! The glitter was an awesome touch!

Melissa said...

Oh, neat! I've heard of the applesauce dough for Christmas ornaments, of course, but I've never seen anything like this for Easter. Your end results are so pretty!

Stopping by from Amanda's party. :)

Lindsey said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for stopping by and linking, have a great weekend! ;)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These are so adorable! And I love how they really do look like cookies! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Those are gorgeous! Just love the pretty pastel colors. :)

Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party! :)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Came back to let you know that I'm going to feature you this coming week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

Natalia Lynn said...

I love these! And the kids could even help. My son loves to help in the kitchen from time to time. Thanks for linking up!

Natalia Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower! These cookies look amazing! Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration.

Last Minute Mel said...

What a great idea - so much fun :)

Unknown said...

they looks so delicious, only when I scrolled it down I've seen you used the paints and they not for eating, great idea!!

brooke said...

These are just so cute!!!'

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

They are adorable, love the colors and the glitter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...